Sunday, December 3, 2017

Day 3 - Twix Cookies

One of the things I like best about this project is finding new cookies to try.  Today's cookie is a new recipe that I found on the internet.  I was drawn to it by the name and also the picture that I found.  The combination of a shortbread cookie, caramel and chocolate sounded amazing.  These did not disappoint!  They were pretty time intensive with multiple steps but well worth the effort.  My family thought it might need a stronger chocolate flavor maybe dipping the entire cookie in chocolate.  If you don't know this already, you will figure out quickly from following the blog that we are a family of chocolate lovers.  Hope you enjoy this recipe.

Ingredients:

Cookie:

1 and 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt

Caramel layer:

15 oz of caramel (I used Kraft caramels squares -- the recipe used Kraft caramel bits)
2 tablespoons evaporated milk

Chocolate layer:

2 cups milk chocolate chips
2 teaspoons shortening ( I used a teaspoon of coconut oil)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla, flour and salt and mix until well combined.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick.  ( I think mine were more like 1/4 inch thick).  With a small biscuit cutter, (I used 1 and 1/2 inch cutter as I like the cookies small -- allows you to sample more cookies) cut out cookies and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 14-16 minutes (I did 14 minutes) or until cookies are set and just beginning to brown on the bottom.  Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Combine caramel and evaporated milk in a microwave safe bowl and melt according to package directions.  I did for two minutes stirring after each minute, then continued in 20 second intervals until melted.  Spread over cooled cookies and let set.  I had to reheat caramel a few times before I was completely done spreading the caramel on the cookies.

In a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening (or oil) in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until melted and smooth.  Spread over the top of cooled caramel.

Let chocolate set before serving.  Once set, I put in airtight container and froze. I ended up making about 90 small cookies. The recipe called for making 36 cookies so they must have used a bigger biscuit cutter.


No comments:

Post a Comment